GUYS. I know you’re already drooling upon seeing these amazing, flavorful, and may I say, GORGEOUS tostadas. I’ve been playing with this recipe for awhile now, and I think I’ve found the perfect balance of spicy, sweet, creamy, and smokey. Try this recipe, and I guarantee it will spice up any Meatless Monday.
The best part about these tostadas, is that you can make them your own. Don’t like mango? Use pico de gallo instead! Allergic to cashews or are like, “ain’t nobody got time for that, Monique!”? Use store-bought sour cream. Hate onions? I don’t have a solution to that, and I’m kinda side-eying you right now, but it’s ok…just use a salsa you like and make these!
What You Will Need
– Corn tortillas, toasted in the oven or fried if you fancy like that (2-3 per person)
– 15 oz can of black beans, refried or whole, drained and rinsed
–Chipotle Lime Tofu
–Jalapeno Cashew Crema
– 1 C fresh*, ripe mango, diced small
– 1/4 C red onion diced small
– A good handful (about 1/3 cup) fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
– Juice of one lime, or more to taste
– Kosher salt to taste
1. Dice all ingredients and add to a small bowl. Mix with salt and lime juice to taste. And that’s it! Easy peasy, lime squeezy.
*I personally used slightly defrosted frozen mango chunks from Trader Joe’s for this particular recipe. They defrost pretty quickly, so by the time you finish making everything else, they’ll be cold and ready to eat. It honestly makes things a lot more time-efficient and less messy, but the most important thing is that we use ripe mango here. Alternatively, you could easily swap out tomatoes here to make pico de gallo instead!
1. Prep your toppings first. Make your crema, salsa, shred lettuce– I would wait until you’re ready to eat to dice avocado so it doesn’t brown.
2. Make the tofu. This part takes the longest, approximately 30 minutes. Recipe linked above.
3. Heat your beans in a small pot on medium heat. I personally made my own refried beans, but you do you!
4. Toast your tortillas. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Brush each side of your tortillas with a little bit of oil (not olive, that would be gross) and then place directly on the oven rack to toast until lightly browned and crispy, around ten or so minutes, flipping halfway through. Keep an eye on them, cuz burned tortillas are no bueno! You could also buy pre-made tostada shells at the grocery store and skip this step.
5. Assemble! This is the order I like to build mine: tostada shell, slather on beans, add tofu, pile on a small handful of lettuce, top with salsa and avocado, drizzle on crema.
6. Eat and enjoy! They’re kinda messy, but I kind of love that about them. I know you will too, so if you make them, please leave a comment below, or tag me on Instagram and let me know what you think!